Search This Blog

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Kumbaya

Sunshine.  Beautiful water.  Swimming/boating/kayaking/canoeing/children-launching.  Bunk-beads.  Bugs.  

Yes.  I am talking about camp.  A rite of passage for some, a way of life for others.  Truly a week-long period of time that is either a "Sweet dream/or a beautiful nightmare..." (Depending on if you have to sleep near the snoring kid, the booger-picker, the bed-wetter, or the other normal kid like you).

As I was growing up, it was usually the latter rather than the former (not the bed-wetting part, the nightmare part).  I never really liked camp.  I hated (still hate) bugs, and I didn't really believe in something called "sweating" when I was younger.  Giving up my comfortable bed, and possibly forsaking air conditioning while putting myself directly with many other "sweaty" and immature peers did not sound like a good time. But, since God apparently wanted all His kids to experience camp, I went.

I wish I could say that I had life-changing experiences at camp as a camper--but, I never did.  In fact, I usually felt more isolated, alienated, and I actually sprained my ankle (for the second time) during my final teenage camp experience. I have many friends who "met Jesus" at camp, and surrendered their lives to Him there.  I have talked to many who have beautiful camp experiences, and then there are the few like me who leave enjoying camp--but secretly wonder why in the world they went.  

The after is what is always curious to me.  What happens after camp?  What happens after you have (or don't have) this close experience with God?  I know God doesn't just stay at camp, but is with us at all times.  But, do we choose to continue to commune with Him after the hype of a shared emotional experience is over?

Maybe the purpose of camp for me when I was younger was to OBVIOUSLY get me ready to organize one when I got older.  God sure does have a sense of humor, doesn't He?  So, now I am coming home from "Rhythm" camp with the students I work with.  It was a beautiful experience together, and I know there were bonds formed that have the promise of long-lasting friendships.  God really did Kumbaya--"Come by here."  My deepest prayer is that, regardless of their understanding of the camp experience,  the bonds they formed with Christ live into the promise of His long-lasting commitment of relationship with us.  May we always know that when we are in rhythm with God, that the melody of or lives will always be in tune--and may surprise us with the song it sings!

No comments:

Post a Comment